2008-07-22 Discussion on library services in Second Life

SL Education Roundtable – Montclair State CHSS Island
Tuesday, July 22nd, 2008
Library Services in SL with special guest Lori Bell (SLL Lorelei Junot)

[15:30] AJ Brooks: we’ll be getting started in a few minutes, give stragglers a few minutes to show up
[15:30] Yasamine Grayson: hello everyone
[15:31] AJ Brooks: oh – I asked because I couldn’t find one to site myself
[15:31] Kay Tairov: hmmmmm…. is it at capacity?
[15:32] AJ Brooks: it should not be
[15:32] JeanClaude Vollmar: I see one there beside AJ
[15:32] AJ Brooks: it should hold 40. ok – why don’t we get started
[15:32] AJ Brooks: Hi everyone, and welcome.
[15:32] Georgette Whitfield: Hi
[15:32] AJ Brooks: This is the SL Education Roundtable. We meet here each week at 3:30pm SLT for an hour. Sometimes we have a topic, sometimes its an open forum, like tonight.
[15:32] affrontimariana Arado: hi
[15:33] AJ Brooks: oppps
[15:33] affrontimariana Arado: ok
[15:33] AJ Brooks: not open forum LOL forgot to edit that out. A few announcements, before we get started. If you have Mystitool on, please put it to sleep. πŸ™‚ Or any other similar tools. I’d like to remind everyone that, at the request of some folks who attend regularly, we now have a group. The group name is SL EDUCATION ROUNDTABLE. Please join. If you have problems finding it in search, IM me and I will send you an invite sometime after this meeting but before I log for the night. As the group grows, there will be announcements and such that will be exclusive to the group. I’m also open for ideas of what can bring value to the group. Next week’s meeting theme has already been determined. We’ll be discussing SLCCed – the Education Track of SLCC, which will take place both in Tampa and in SL. If you know nothing about SLCC or are curious, come to this meeting. I attended in Chicago last year and it truly did change everything for me. Our special guest moderator will be Fleep Tuque! Mark your calendars now, be sure to come back, it promises to be an excellent meeting.
[15:34] Oberon Octagon: Me too!
[15:34] AJ Brooks: If you have an idea for a future meeting, please drop me a notecard with that idea (sometimes my IMs get capped). Past meeting chat transcripts can be found in The HUGE Bldg, just outside the Amphitheater. Enter the door that runs along the canal and make a left. Lastly, please feel free to wander around the island – tonight after the meeting or come back any time. we’re currently up to 21 residents, most of whom have been very active in getting their areas going. Many are Montclair State faculty or staff, but the others have taken advantage of the CHSSSouth Free Land Initiative. For more information on that, see one of the notegivers at the bottom of the outside stairs.
[15:35] Georgette Whitfield: Yay! krull lol Yay!
[15:35] Krull Aeon: πŸ˜€
AJ Brooks: We’ll start our meeting as we usually do. Please introduce yourself. Tell us who you are, where you are from, and what you do. AJ Brooks: No need to wait for others to type – go ahead and enter your information right away, we can all catch up in chat history.
[15:35] Georgette Whitfield: Hi Daisy
[15:36] Jenaia Morane: Where would you like us to sit?
[15:36] AJ Brooks: I am AJ Kelton, I’m the Director of Emerging Instructional Technology for the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Montclair State University. We’re located in northern New Jersey, just six miles from midtown Manhattan.
[15:36] Daisyblue Hefferman: Hey, Geo
[15:36] Serillion Setsuko: serillion sesuko – assistant professor in biology – gresham, oregon
[15:36] AJ Brooks: there should be seats around the table – if not, you may have to sit in the amphitheater
[15:36] SpelNJLT Thibedeau: Lauren – NSU Grad Student Engineering Ed Research
[15:36] AJ Brooks: we may have standing room only tonight
[15:36] affrontimariana Arado: im a technology teacher from argentina
[15:36] JeanClaude Vollmar: I’m JC (Jeff Le Blanc in RL) and work at UNOH at VP for IT
[15:36] Topher Zwiers: I’m Director of Emerging Technology & Training at San Jacinto College in Houston.
[15:36] Robin Mochi: Reference & Distance Services Librarian, Portland, Oregon, USA
[15:36] Penelope Drucker: Penny Burger, 8th grade Lang arts and history teacher Muscatine, Iowa
[15:36] Hiker Tigerpaw: high school tech coordinator in IL
[15:36] Saturnine Fei: I teach 4th grade in Hayward CA. South of Oakland on SF Bay.
[15:36] Carrilin Heliosense: Carri Manchester, Director of Education, Olana STate Historic Site, Hudson, NY
[15:36] Kadja Halfpint: I’m Kathleen Hughes, head of the Cataloging Dept at Montclair State, and the librarian at the MSU Library in SL
[15:36] Oberon Octagon: Oberon Octagon, Estate Manager of ALA Island … in RL, Web Developer ITTS Dept American Library Assn.
[15:36] Kay Tairov: I’m the Member Specialist for Membership Development at ALA. And I help manage the ALA Island
[15:36] Daisyblue Hefferman: Daisyblue Hefferman former pub lib Director, manage Land of Lincoln here and do ref.
[15:36] Georgette Whitfield: Hi I’m Georgette, and I’m a public librarian from Scotland and volunteer with Alliance Library in SL
[15:36] Lorelei Junot: Lori Bell, Director of Innovation, Alliance Library System, IL
[15:36] Cathrin Laville: Birgit Sattler, teaching Geography at the University of Duisburg-Essen in Germany
[15:36] Annalee Lorefield: Annalee Lorefield high school tech coordinator and librarian in AL
[15:36] Moriarty Finesmith: I’m a librarian for the Scottish Government in Edinburgh. Do loads. From research and answering enquiries to developing and delivering training to government staff
[15:37] Katya Anatine: I’m Kathryn, assistant professor of literacy education at a private university in St.Louis
[15:37] Aevalle Galicia: In RL, I’m Stasia Weston, Instructional Design Ph.D. student at the University of South Alabama
[15:37] Sheila Yoshikawa: Faculty member in the Department of Information Studies University of Sheffield, UK
[15:37] Teyah Nightfire: Janice Johnson, Assistant Professor, E-commerce, Shawnee State University
[15:37] Hilde Hullabaloo: Rochelle Mazar, Instructional Technology Librarian, University of Toronto
[15:37] Sheila Yoshikawa: Sheila Webber in RL
[15:37] Krull Aeon: Krull, Toronto, Canada. Kitty Cat Extraordinaire
[15:37] Rowan Masala: I’m Mary, Instructional Services/Reference Librarian, from SC
[15:37] Fleet Goldenberg: Marty Grover, educational support consultant
[15:37] AJ Brooks: anyone else?
[15:37] Daisyblue Hefferman: xx
[15:37] AJ Brooks: ok Please also tell me how you found out about tonight’s meeting. If you got a group notice, which group? If you got an email, what listserv? If you saw it in SL Events, which thread?
[15:38] Sheila Yoshikawa: yay a good turnout tonight!
[15:38] Kay Tairov: SLED, and from Lori, and from AJ
[15:38] Hiker Tigerpaw: It was on the SLED listserve
[15:38] Oberon Octagon: Kay and Lori told me.
[15:38] Krull Aeon: Lorelei sent a group IM to the Librarians of Second Life
[15:38] Aevalle Galicia: SLED
[15:38] Daisyblue Hefferman: Lori
[15:38] Lorelei Junot: this is awesome
[15:38] affrontimariana Arado: sled
[15:38] Aldrif Avro is Online
[15:38] Cathrin Laville: sled
[15:38] Agnesa Capalini: Alliance and Lori
[15:38] Serillion Setsuko: sled!
[15:38] Lorelei Junot: maybe we need a sl librarian round table as a sub group?
[15:38] Katya Anatine: I got a group announcement, but I don’t remember which group.
[15:38] JeanClaude Vollmar: Heard from the various groups and the EDUCAUSE VW list
[15:38] Penelope Drucker: sled
[15:38] Kay Tairov: oh, and it came thru ALS group, too
[15:38] Georgette Whitfield: Lori TPed me
[15:38] AJ Brooks: anyone else?
[15:39] Hilde Hullabaloo: a forward from buridan simon
[15:39] Rowan Masala: someone from Clemson University told my sister, and she told me
[15:39] Saturnine Fei: I heard through ISTE
[15:39] Moriarty Finesmith: Forward from Penny Drucker
[15:39] AJ Brooks: Ok – thanks everyone. this is GREAT!
[15:39] Annalee Lorefield: ISTE
[15:39] Riven Homewood: Riven Homewood – Univ of San Francisco in rl, Steelhead Public Library in sl
[15:39] AJ Brooks: I’d like to introduce our special guest tonight, but before I do I want to take this opportunity to recognize Kadja Halfpint, who is the Montclair State University Second Life Librarian. I’d set aside some land and asked the library if they would be interested in making use of it. I build a, well, basically a big 3-floor square building. It was my first build from scratch, but it was just fine for their needs.
[15:39] Kay Tairov: woot!
[15:39] Lorelei Junot: YEY Kadja!
[15:40] Kadja Halfpint: Thanks Aj
[15:40] AJ Brooks: Since then, Kadja has done an amazing job getting information into the library, even offering to work with faculty to make sure the information is relevant to classes that are going on here. I encourage your to check the library out before you leave tonight – you have to fly across this island, to the border between the next island and the last – so fly north. The MSU SL LIbrary borders Montclair State CHSS and Montclair State CEHSADP. Now, I’d like to turn this over to someone who really needs NO introduction…but I’m going to anyway. When I was teaching last semester I wanted my students to do research in SL. I approached Lori and asked if we could make a field trip to Info Island. I’ll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that it was one of the best classes we had all year. The students loved the experience, learned a LOT, and the folks who worked that night were helpful, gracious, and simply wonderful. And on that note, I give you – Lorelie Junot!
[15:41] Lorelei Junot: thanks for the great intro
[15:41] Daisyblue Hefferman: clap clap clap
[15:41] Lorelei Junot: and thanks for this opportunity to talk with other librarians and educators! what a good turnout!
[15:41] Kay Tairov applauds uproariously
[15:41] Lorelei Junot: some of you I know and some of you I do not during this session I would like to see what kinds of educational services libraries in sl can collaborate on and also bring to educators here in sl
[15:41] Daisyblue Hefferman: just touch the table, folks, to rez another chair.
[15:41] Lorelei Junot: honestly, we would like to do more of what we did with AJ. work with classes, take them on tours of info island or appropriate edu islands we have like Land of Lincoln or renaissance. we are also working on a new initiative to network libraries here in sl no one library can cover 24/7
[15:42] Rowan Masala nods
[15:42] Lorelei Junot: virtually or in bricks and mortar. right now we have an information desk staffed 80 hours a week by volunteer librarians from all over the world we would like to work with other libraries
[15:42] AJ Brooks: (and they rock!!!)
[15:43] Lorelei Junot: that want to provide reference service but maybe can only cover their desk a few hours a week we could put a teleport sign so that when you are not there, students know to come to info international! that would strengthen local library presences in sl and also the main info desk at info international we have been here 2 years building up a universal library and now we feel it is time to network with all the libraries here to strengthen the service we can all give when we first started there were no libraries just individuals working in here on their own time now there are over 50 libraries in sl and more coming in every day who want to provide library services in this virtual world and support instruction taking place here so what can we do what would help you sell a library presence to your administration
[15:44] Daisyblue Hefferman: 50 or 500, Lori?
[15:45] Lorelei Junot: what kinds of services can we provide together… 50… over 50. I don’t think we are at 500 yet lol
[15:45] Hilde Hullabaloo: what’s the mandate for SL reference?
[15:45] AJ Brooks: don’t be shy guys, in front of the guest. πŸ™‚
[15:45] Polaris Grayson: what about linking project gutenberg to sl
[15:45] Lorelei Junot: Hilde what do you mean by mandate. Polaris, we do have a project gutenberg search tool
[15:45] Daisyblue Hefferman: many of us use Gutenberg extensively,
[15:45] Lorelei Junot: near the main library
[15:45] Lorelei Junot: on info island. thanks to the French Library and Hugo. in different languages too
[15:46] Hilde Hullabaloo: I mean, do you mean to provide general reference, or SL specific reference
[15:46] Lorelei Junot: Hilde, we do lots of sl specific reference and we want to provide general reference too. obviously we cannot do a database search
[15:46] Hilde Hullabaloo: our current experience at the University of Toronto indicates that sharing virtual reference provides lower quality reference service
[15:46] Lorelei Junot: but we can offer reference from free websites
[15:46] Sky Light: (Where is the French library, please?)
[15:46] Hilde Hullabaloo: because local information is minimized
[15:46] Lorelei Junot: and also recommend databases they can get from their own library
[15:46] Robin Mochi: Lorelei, I like the idea of the teleporter sending our students and faculty to info island ref desk when the librarians who are in SL are not available…
[15:47] Hilde Hullabaloo: if the mandate is SL specific, I can see sharing being really useful but if someone comes in to talk about a particular assignment, that will be harder for a librarian from another place
[15:47] AJ Brooks: Lori, can you send me an LM and I will pass it along to the SL Education Roundtable group (remember, if you are not a member, and want to join, IM me and I’ll send an invite after this meeting before I log off)
[15:47] Polaris Grayson: can link free translation.com to the reference material to translate material
[15:47] Lorelei Junot: bibliotheque francophone is the french library
[15:47] Daisyblue Hefferman: most of our questions are sl specific, Hulde, but we do get some rl ones too.
[15:47] Lorelei Junot: under the leadership of Hugobiwan Zolnir. a tp to the library is available under his picks. especially in sl, I think a live person becomes very important
[15:49] AJ Brooks: how many people here are librarians – say YES
[15:49] Lorelei Junot: even if it is just to refer them to their library website or a helpful email address
[15:49] Annalee Lorefield: yes
[15:49] Daisyblue Hefferman: yes
[15:49] Lorelei Junot: yes
[15:49] Riven Homewood: yes
[15:49] Jenaia Morane: I agree
[15:49] Hilde Hullabaloo: yes
[15:49] Georgette Whitfield: Hilde most folks who come and ask about assignments are doing assignments on virtual worlds so we can help
[15:49] Kadja Halfpint: “YES
[15:49] Moriarty Finesmith: Yes
[15:49] Georgette Whitfield: Yes
[15:49] AJ Brooks: and how many people here TEACH in SL or use it to TEACH say TEACH
[15:49] AJ Brooks: TEACH
[15:49] Jenaia Morane: Lorelei, does LL support any of this
[15:49] Aevalle Galicia: Will teach
[15:49] Lorelei Junot: if you are a librarian in sl but not involved in librarians of second life and info island, let us know why
[15:50] Bill Friis: Teach
[15:50] affrontimariana Arado: never
[15:50] Sheila Yoshikawa: TEACH
[15:50] SpelNJLT Thibedeau: TEACH
[15:50] Lorelei Junot: and how we could help you
[15:50] Hilde Hullabaloo: teach, in a manner of speaking
[15:50] Jenaia Morane: TEACH
[15:50] Robin Mochi: yes
[15:50] Lorelei Junot: or what types of things you would be involve din
[15:50] Georgette Whitfield: lol Lori
[15:50] Cathrin Laville: teach
[15:50] Lorelei Junot: Jenaiai LL is supportive
[15:50] Teyah Nightfire: TEACH
[15:50] Lorelei Junot: but not in terms of money or staffing. does that answer your question
[15:50] Riven Homewood: teach
[15:50] Mercury Barnes: Because Librarians should go to the people Lorelei, not expect people to come to them…:)
[15:50] Lorelei Junot: Mercury, a number of volunteers have started libraries in sl communities too
[15:51] Jenaia Morane: I’m wondering if they might eventually be able to provide an interface so outside searches could be conducted
[15:51] AJ Brooks: Mercury – people come to the librarian IRL
[15:51] Jenaia Morane: interface*
[15:51] Lorelei Junot: what other things in sl do you think we should do to go to the people
[15:51] Hilde Hullabaloo: I don’t volunteer to do reference because I don’t do reference as part of my job, so I don’t feel properly qualified
[15:51] Hilde Hullabaloo: SL reference I could do, though…okay I have an idea…can we develop an SL collection
[15:51] Jenaia Morane: Make library kiosks/stations available for schools
[15:51] Georgette Whitfield: We do get RL questions too though. Not many but some
[15:51] Jenaia Morane: they can place one in their schools
[15:51] AJ Brooks: Info Island Kiosks – great idea!
[15:52] Lorelei Junot: Hilde, Cindy ELkhart just developed an sl collection
[15:52] Jenaia Morane: that provide info and/or LMs to the libraries
[15:52] Lorelei Junot: on info island international
[15:52] affrontimariana Arado: aca termiana la semana que viene
[15:52] Georgette Whitfield: Info International has an Sl focussed collection already
[15:52] Lorelei Junot: take a look at it and give some feedback πŸ™‚
[15:52] Georgette Whitfield: Mainly for newbies
[15:52] Hilde Hullabaloo: oh? what’s in the SL collection
[15:52] Lorelei Junot: what types of info would you like in the kiosk?
[15:52] affrontimariana Arado: nachi y sofi ya estan aca hast fiens de agosto
[15:52] Krull Aeon: Cat Stacks
[15:52] AJ Brooks: a LM to info island
[15:52] Jenaia Morane: A list of libraries, what’s available
[15:52] AJ Brooks: a notecard with info on what is there
[15:52] Jenaia Morane: LMs to them, contact information for an avi at each
[15:52] Georgette Whitfield: There is a web directory of libraries in SL
[15:52] AJ Brooks give Krull a bottle cap to bat around
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: I assume each library meets specific needs
[15:53] Hilde Hullabaloo: wait, the SL collection is a collection of libraries?
[15:53] AJ Brooks and some catnip
[15:53] Georgette Whitfield: And notecards for each sim
[15:53] Krull Aeon: πŸ™‚
[15:53] Georgette Whitfield: No Hilde
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: LOL AJ
[15:53] Mercury Barnes: We need Information Commons — places for folks to hang out tht are above clubs and even Welcome Centers, but less than “bricks and mortar places” — Information Commons work in RL, I think they would work here.
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: we can see where your priorities lie
[15:53] Oberon Octagon ears perk at the mention of catnip!
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: heheh
[15:53] Lorelei Junot: the sl collection is a group of materials about second life and how to do things in second life
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: Hmmm
[15:53] Krull Aeon: My library is the cat stacks and I have a growing collection of SL books and publications
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: Lorelei
[15:53] Sheila Yoshikawa: I agree with Mercury – but think there are some like that already
[15:53] Hilde Hullabaloo: yeah, what about thinking outside materials about, and thinking about what people need to create here
[15:53] Jenaia Morane: how about a library reference desk at Orientation Island
[15:53] Hilde Hullabaloo: useful objects for teaching and learning
[15:53] Polaris Grayson: there was a gal in game who did kiosks that were linked to the terminal… like a Wikipedia terminal of sorts
[15:53] Robin Mochi: Some academic institutions who are just beginning to explore SL and perhaps just lease a small space could also benefit from hearing that their students could easily tp to the info island reference desk for live help
[15:54] Jenaia Morane: and/or Help Islands?
[15:54] Hilde Hullabaloo: lendable builds, useful scripts
[15:54] Jenaia Morane: As a mentor
[15:54] Mercury Barnes: All part of knowing the venue — I shudder thinking about last years ALA in SL — folks in marble circles on Info-Island with rarely a person around.
[15:54] Hilde Hullabaloo: there is very little really good organzation in second life
[15:54] Daisyblue Hefferman: help islands have mentors. We serve everyone in sl, but also get many newbs
[15:54] Jenaia Morane: I get asked the same questions again and again
[15:54] Polaris Grayson: havent seen here in a couple of years though
[15:54] Jenaia Morane: if we had a library desk
[15:54] Polaris Grayson: *her
[15:55] Jenaia Morane: that would give out info on commonly asked info, like building, that would help
[15:55] Daisyblue Hefferman: that’s because most people circumvent help island to get right here!
[15:55] Riven Homewood: Much of the best organization I’ve seen in SL is in the libraries, Hilde
[15:55] Moriarty Finesmith: Does anyone know. Have librarians contacted the Lindens to organise resources – the information commons mentioned earlier?
[15:55] Georgette Whitfield: Yup they need to go to the centre Lori just told you about
[15:55] AJ Brooks: Ivory Tower of Prims does a really good job of that, so that might be a bit of reinventing the wheel
[15:55] Hilde Hullabaloo: I wish we’d provide an archive of excellent builds
[15:55] Jenaia Morane: Ivory Tower? Oh yes I know it
[15:55] Hilde Hullabaloo: they disappear far too often
[15:55] Daisyblue Hefferman: we direct folks to the ivory tower if that is their need.
[15:55] Jenaia Morane: WEll not just building
[15:55] Polaris Grayson: the kiosk did that …plus scripting, searchin… ect
[15:55] Hilde Hullabaloo: then teachers could pull them out for a class in a sandbox
[15:56] Lorelei Junot: Moriarty, the Lindens seem familiar with what we are doing, but I don’t know that anyone has contacted them about your issue specifically
[15:56] Aevalle Galicia: What about items of interest to those who want to do educational research within SL?
[15:56] Jenaia Morane: Good one Aevalle
[15:56] AJ Brooks: lets keep in mind – education only represents about 10% of LL business
[15:56] Aevalle Galicia: Virtual ethnographies and the like
[15:56] Jenaia Morane: Also, I write for RL publications about SL
[15:56] Mercury Barnes: The key to Information Commons in RL is building a space that folks want to collect in, as a mix of social and work (and I’m not sure exactly what would work here).
[15:56] AJ Brooks: so it may also be a matter of resource allocation
[15:56] Jenaia Morane: IT is often hard to find info about who to contact
[15:56] Moriarty Finesmith: Should we. In rl we would?
[15:57] Georgette Whitfield: How many people here have visited Info International and some of the other library sims?
[15:57] Jenaia Morane: Having lists of organizations and people within them
[15:57] AJ Brooks: ME!
[15:57] Kadja Halfpint: ME
[15:57] Hilde Hullabaloo: or could we maintain a collection of landmarks organized by kind or type…or dewey
[15:57] Zotarah Shepherd: I have
[15:57] Penelope Drucker: I have
[15:57] Prairie Loon raises hand
[15:57] Cathrin Laville: me
[15:57] Robin Mochi: Of course!
[15:57] Jenaia Morane: organized by topic/areas of interest
[15:57] Georgette Whitfield: Ok ‘cos folks seem to be asking for things that already exist
[15:57] Libbi Timeless: how do you classify sl references – using the Directory / Categories from Linden Labs?
[15:57] Daisyblue Hefferman: our reference desk is already a gathering place for many seeking info and those who can provide it.
[15:57] Jenaia Morane: would help RL reporters get info
[15:57] Hilde Hullabaloo: yes, do a visual search like paths
[15:57] Elaine Tulip: i have visited library sims…we have one
[15:57] Libbi Timeless: seems easier
[15:57] Moriarty Finesmith: me
[15:57] Sheila Yoshikawa: yes
[15:58] Hilde Hullabaloo: if you think of builds as texts
[15:58] Lorelei Junot: at info international we sort of have an information commons
[15:58] Libbi Timeless: The Linden Labs is actively working on streamlining information and tutorials
[15:58] Lorelei Junot: but how would that look different than what we have now
[15:58] Libbi Timeless: almost seems like a new improved initiative
[15:58] Heidi Ballinger: I am often doing mentoring at OI, and I know at Info Island the place you visit after OI… are aplce with info about SL, and many mentors has a packet of LM’s to new residents. Maybe that would be a plce for you to collect a sign with LM’s to all the places new resident can visit?
[15:58] Riven Homewood: Loreli, perhaps you could tell people a little about what Infor International is offering now – what kind of links and services?
[15:59] Sheila Yoshikawa: Is anyone helping to keep track of all the information embedded in different parts of a sim – I don’t think you want to collect all your @information@ in one place in an island – you want to embed it where it will be useful to the learner
[15:59] Daisyblue Hefferman: more space, Lori, but crowds often interfere with our reference delivery too
[15:59] Hilde Hullabaloo: I’d avoid signs…we’re in a 3D world, we can do more than signs
[15:59] Lorelei Junot: good idea riven
[15:59] Jenaia Morane: That’s a good idea Heidi
[15:59] Lorelei Junot: right now on info international we have live people to help 80 hours a week. there is information about our programs and events and what is on our 40 + islands
[16:00] Libbi Timeless: Has anyone heard of the social networking hud – may help – I haven’t tested it in delivering information
[16:00] Hiker Tigerpaw: the issue is getting people to know it is here
[16:00] Heidi Ballinger: Hilde, I agree about signs, 3D are not used like it should be (most places) – maybe not a sign, but something to tell about yourself
[16:00] Lorelei Junot: there are computer terminals with links to the “collections” we have in the libraries on info island, info international etc
[16:00] Jenaia Morane: One t hing that intimidates is tons of text
[16:00] Krull Aeon: Im working on a virtual librarian as we speak
[16:00] Hilde Hullabaloo: I just did a build about my recent experience with cancer
[16:00] Jenaia Morane: I think we need to make info more accessible visually
[16:00] Hilde Hullabaloo: it’s full to the brim of information about what it’s like
[16:00] Riven Homewood: for rfl, hilde?
[16:00] Hilde Hullabaloo: the response has been amazing
[16:01] Jenaia Morane: HIlde
[16:01] Hilde Hullabaloo: actually I did it for myself, but acs wanted it for relay, yeah
[16:01] Jenaia Morane: Is it possible to come see?
[16:01] Hilde Hullabaloo: absolutely
[16:01] Lorelei Junot: Hilde is it here in sl?
[16:01] Libbi Timeless: yes, and during RFL activities – to keep it going year round Hilde
[16:01] Hilde Hullabaloo: I’ll give you a LM. yeah, it’s here, I’m just tweaking it again
[16:01] Libbi Timeless: I may be able to help you with contacts, possibly
[16:01] Lorelei Junot: Jenaia, how do you mean more info visually
[16:01] Riven Homewood: Sorry, Loreli – I didn’t mean to interrupt you
[16:01] Hilde Hullabaloo: I’d like to do a build now about library anxiety
[16:01] Lorelei Junot: Hilde do you need a place to display that
[16:01] Jenaia Morane: Okay
[16:02] Lorelei Junot: Riven, no problem you were not at all πŸ™‚
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: when you go to most places
[16:02] Hilde Hullabaloo: Oh I always need space. πŸ™‚
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: there are signs everywhere, hard to take in the info
[16:02] Hilde Hullabaloo: what I’ve learned is that this place is AMAZING for teaching and communicating…through building
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: I would suggest most graphic images with simple text that then open a list of resources
[16:02] Hilde Hullabaloo: I’d love to see the library presence support that by providing help and tools to do it
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: Also, friend at IBM
[16:02] Kadja Halfpint: that’s what i’ve done
[16:02] Daisyblue Hefferman: we do a lot of immersive learning on our sims, Hilde.
[16:02] Riven Homewood: sl handles graphic images well – text less well – that’s part of the challenge for libraries
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: just built a 3D circular carousel
[16:02] Kadja Halfpint: a piano for a link to classical music scores
[16:02] Jenaia Morane: you walk into it and select an image. the image extrudes out and you have a choice about whether to click and get more info. I just think 3D isn’t being used enough here
[16:03] Hilde Hullabaloo: Awesome on immersive learning! I’d love to see. agreed!
[16:03] Jenaia Morane: nods. yes it is very effective
[16:04] Hilde Hullabaloo: it takes some mind-bending
[16:04] AJ Brooks: FOLKS – IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE FOLLOWING THE CONVERSATION – MAKE SURE YOU HAVE LOCAL CHAT OPEN
[16:04] Lorelei Junot: Jenaia, can you think of an example in sl that would illustrate your point?
[16:04] Daisyblue Hefferman: Renaissance Island, Land of Lincoln, Inly Yesterday.
[16:04] Jenaia Morane: and you can load image like in a slideshow
[16:04] Daisyblue Hefferman: Only*
[16:04] Jenaia Morane: so a group of people could stand in the circle and have the images move around them
[16:04] ChristopherEdward Guisse: Is this a lesson?
[16:04] Georgette Whitfield: That sounds like a great project Jenaia. When can you make one for us? ;-D
[16:04] Jenaia Morane: Lorelai
[16:05] ChristopherEdward Guisse: How do i sit?
[16:05] Jenaia Morane: Lorelei*
[16:05] Jenaia Morane: do you mean my point about too much info?
[16:06] ChristopherEdward Guisse: Oh this isn’t a lesson?
[16:06] Polaris Grayson: Chris…. find an empty chair… right click in the pie and choose sit from the pie
[16:06] Lorelei Junot: to finish what I was talking about earlier – such good discussion here πŸ™‚
[16:06] Penelope Drucker: it is a roundtable Chris
[16:06] Krull Aeon: Meet the virtual librarian today
[16:06] ChristopherEdward Guisse: I got one πŸ˜‰
[16:06] Daisyblue Hefferman: this is a meeting about providing library services, Christopher
[16:06] Lorelei Junot: we want to network libraries together to provide 24/7 coverage so that each participating library will be able to offer 24/7 coverage
[16:06] AJ Brooks: 24/7/365 would be a GREAT goal
[16:06] Lorelei Junot: as they work together to do in web based reference or virtual reference
[16:06] Kadja Halfpint: one of my frustrations in that a lot of the ‘good’ stuff is limited to members of our uni community
[16:06] Lorelei Junot: even if the help is to give them a contact at their library
[16:06] Riven Homewood: A very dooable goal, if everyone puts in a few hours a week
[16:06] Lorelei Junot: or we can help them with more. yes
[16:07] Krull Aeon: The virtual librarian can greet patrons with audio files
[16:07] Lorelei Junot: this will help libraries sell virtual worldsl to their administrations
[16:07] Fleet Goldenberg: I guess that it’s easiest to get non-Christian librarians to work reference on the Christmas holidays to meet that 365 days a year goal!
[16:07] Lorelei Junot: and through collaboration can accomplish a lot more than on their own
[16:07] Daisyblue Hefferman: ir disseminate limited information
[16:07] Krull Aeon: This can also be an image of your avatar
[16:07] AJ Brooks: especially since this is a global effort, SL
[16:08] AJ Brooks: so it could also be 365
[16:08] Krull Aeon: Yes
[16:08] Elaine Tulip: I think what ALS has done to pointedly ask for volunteers for specific purposes is very effective.
[16:08] Lorelei Junot: with virtual reference services collaboration across the globe, librarians in other countries can cover our nighttime and we cover their day time. same with holidays
[16:09] Daisyblue Hefferman: it could be a very exciting thing for sl and for your individual libraries. You can say you offer 24/7 reference.
[16:09] Lorelei Junot: yes, by staffing the collaborative desk an hour or two a week
[16:09] Jenaia Morane: Lorelei, have you thought about asking if Mentors would volunteer?
[16:09] Georgette Whitfield: Yes I do 8-10am Tuesdays
[16:09] Lorelei Junot: I have not thought of that Jenaia
[16:09] Georgette Whitfield: Which is 4-6pm my time
[16:09] Daisyblue Hefferman: some of ours are mentors, yes.
[16:09] AJ Brooks: so people who have space on Info Island are required to volunteer
[16:09] Lorelei Junot: that is a great idea
[16:09] Jenaia Morane: Currently Mentors can sign up to do a variety fo volunteer work
[16:10] Lorelei Junot: AJ, that is how cybrary city worked when we first got started. now that is not so
[16:10] Jenaia Morane: If volunteering at a library was one of the options
[16:10] Lorelei Junot: we charge at cost rent
[16:10] Daisyblue Hefferman: I’ve volunteered there for a year and a half. missed 1 time due to internet outage.
[16:10] AJ Brooks: ok
[16:10] Jenaia Morane: that would be great
[16:10] Robin Mochi: yes, and being able to tell administrators of universities that are still exploring SL that such a service as ref 24/7 is available is a major positive selling point to getting buy in for teaching/learning in SL
[16:10] Zotarah Shepherd: I have never gone to the library on Info and not seen a few librarians and I have gone at odd hours and weekends. HealthInfo also has good coverage by alert to a RL librarian in chat.
[16:10] Lorelei Junot: it gets librarians in on the ground floor of these emerging technologies
[16:11] AJ Brooks: how about a document explaining the services of virtual libraries – not just Info Island in particular
[16:11] Fleet Goldenberg: England is considering flexible working practises where Muslims, Hindus etc work the traditional Christian holidays like Easter, Christmas etc and then the people who had Easter and Xmas off work the holidays like Divali, Eid etc that the non-Christians want time off to celebrate
[16:11] Lorelei Junot: what are other services here we could work together on or collaborate on
[16:11] AJ Brooks: so when our admins ask us about the library service, we can show them that virtual libraries are not new or unique to SL
[16:11] Zotarah Shepherd: Great Fleet.
[16:11] Lorelei Junot: we would also like to spread this to other virtual worlds, where it fits, because you cannot be everywhere all the time. fleet, that is great and works great for global collaboration
[16:12] Krull Aeon: I will develop a library portal Landmark based system for you Lorelei
[16:12] Polaris Grayson: what about utilizing companies from the grid
[16:12] Jenaia Morane: That’s a great idea Krull
[16:12] Mercury Barnes: Hello Bill (thanks…:).
[16:12] Georgette Whitfield: I think the thing just now is there are not enough European volunteers so no one to cover the wee small hours of the morning US time
[16:13] Elaine Tulip: Lori, have you considered partnering with AskAway, our 24/7 online reference service here in Illinois?
[16:13] Lorelei Junot: Elaine, yes I did
[16:13] Prairie Loon: i think perhaps librarians are not the ones able to come up with the quantum leap sort of jumps in thinking required to do something truly different and innovative with this technology
[16:13] Fleet Goldenberg: English people are best suited to the US small hours as those times are breakfast time for English folk
[16:13] Daisyblue Hefferman: and why is that, Prairie? I beg to differ
[16:13] Lorelei Junot: Krull, that is a great idea πŸ™‚
[16:14] Sheila Yoshikawa: What about the Scots and Welsh πŸ˜‰ and other Europeans
[16:14] Lorelei Junot: Prairie, what do you mean? πŸ™‚
[16:14] Prairie Loon: it sounds like libraries…. info kiosks, reference desks…etc.
[16:14] AJ Brooks: you guys are making a difference here today – if you have an idea, please do share it
[16:14] Georgette Whitfield: Yes more Europeans needed!
[16:14] Polaris Grayson: if some tech companies got onboard… you could utilize the tech knowhow to help with the link and crossover tech
[16:14] Prairie Loon: i mean there are innovations going on. but to do something really forward…can we even conceive of that?
[16:14] Lorelei Junot: Polaris, that is a great idea
[16:14] Hilde Hullabaloo: It’s not that we’re not capable, we’re just stuck with traditional metaphors πŸ˜€
[16:15] Prairie Loon: possibly
[16:15] AJ Brooks: FOR THOSE IN THE AMPHITHETATER – if you’d like to join the conversation, please come down here and join us – sit or stand – so the chat log will reflect your input
[16:15] Daisyblue Hefferman: we are speak on innovative ways to use proquest databases here.
[16:15] Polaris Grayson: not to mention some corporate backing
[16:15] Penelope Drucker: do you have an idea Prairie to share?
[16:15] Hilde Hullabaloo: :can conceive
[16:15] Jenaia Morane: I know several large companies that are here that would be willing to help
[16:15] Georgette Whitfield: I need to go, bedtime
[16:15] Sheila Yoshikawa: Yes, but using proquest in itself isn’t very innovative …
[16:15] Jenaia Morane: do we have a presentation to take to them?
[16:15] AJ Brooks: bye georgette -= thanks for coming
[16:15] Fleet Goldenberg: My bedtime too. Past midnight in my corner of Europe
[16:15] Lorelei Junot: Jenaia, what kinds of things do these companies do
[16:15] Jenaia Morane: I mean if I went to IBM, what would I ask them for?
[16:15] Hilde Hullabaloo: if we start by using a medium for what it does best. some things are best in http
[16:16] Daisyblue Hefferman: no, but their information is valuable to those that need it, and we’re pioneering ways to best use it here
[16:16] AJ Brooks: Bye Fleep – good to see you again – thanks for coming, thanks for staying up
[16:16] Jenaia Morane: Could we set up a regular roundtable or meeting of reps from various companies?
[16:16] Fleet Goldenberg: Thanks for making table room!
[16:16] Hilde Hullabaloo: what do we need the companies for?
[16:16] Zotarah Shepherd: By Fleet good to see you.
[16:16] AJ Brooks: Jenaia – lest chat offline about using one of these meetings for that
[16:16] Georgette Whitfield: IBM : AHH!!!!
[16:16] Jenaia Morane: kk
[16:16] Hilde Hullabaloo: ❀ Fleep
[16:16] AJ Brooks: offline = after the meeting or another time
[16:16] Prairie Loon: talking to people who have never been to a library in RL? getting diversity of thought. just get outside of our own heads and experiences.
[16:16] Daisyblue Hefferman: we need to get a consortia of libraries first. then perhaps open to a wider view, with businesses.
[16:16] Jenaia Morane: Well large technology companies that have a vested interest in being here
[16:16] Polaris Grayson: the companies would be a good draw to get universities on board
[16:16] Jenaia Morane: want to find ways to a) look good
[16:17] AJ Brooks: how about asking the students – what do they need
[16:17] Jenaia Morane: and b) support technology that supports their products
[16:17] Daisyblue Hefferman: Too many cooks, there is an incredible amount of collective intelligence right here today.
[16:17] AJ Brooks: I’ve been working with NMC on an SL Student Center on their Orientation Island
[16:17] Jenaia Morane: hehehe Daisyblue. I hope someone is taking notes
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: one thing we do
[16:17] Hilde Hullabaloo: frankly, I don’t think the unis will be too interested until we have more control of the information flow
[16:17] Prairie Loon: yes. that would be good. for sure. (students)
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: is if someone has an idea for something they wish to try
[16:17] AJ Brooks: I will eventually have a transcript from todays meeting
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: we try to give them the space they need and volunteers if they want them
[16:17] Hilde Hullabaloo: you rock, Lorelei
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: to try things
[16:17] Hilde Hullabaloo: you really, really do πŸ˜€
[16:17] Daisyblue Hefferman: they unis can help control that, Hilde.
[16:17] AJ Brooks: and I’ll post to the SL EDUCATION ROUNDTABLE group when it goes up
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: I think everyone here does lol
[16:17] Jenaia Morane: that’s wonderful Lorelei
[16:17] Lorelei Junot: thanks though lol
[16:17] Prairie Loon: i’m at a university library…generating interest is difficult yes
[16:18] AJ Brooks: they will all be posted in The Huge Bldg, just outside the amphitheater here
[16:18] Hilde Hullabaloo: Daisy, you know that non-US schools are uncomfortable with their student data residing on US servers
[16:18] Lorelei Junot: Prairie, that is why I want to know how we get the input you are talking about
[16:18] Jenaia Morane: Would if be possible to get reps assigned to SL from libraries? So we at least have a contact point?
[16:18] Hilde Hullabaloo: if we could have an ed grid that reduced the need for $$ all the time from users
[16:18] AJ Brooks: what do you mean $$$ Hilde?
[16:18] Hilde Hullabaloo: link ed grids together. oh, buying land
[16:19] AJ Brooks: users don’t need money to be in SL
[16:19] Hilde Hullabaloo: and paying for it constantly
[16:19] Mercury Barnes: Get SL to allow folks to designate NMC at Orientation, and you’ll guarantee traffic (and lots of repeats as the new users cycle in-world until they learn, then decide, to set “home” somewhere else).
[16:19] Hilde Hullabaloo: they do to build
[16:19] AJ Brooks: well – you pay one way or the other
[16:19] Daisyblue Hefferman: we have little or nothing to do with student data. we are here to help them find what they need.
[16:19] AJ Brooks: in dollars or human resources
[16:19] Robin Mochi: Another possible service librarians from info island could provide would be a type of virtual inworld subject guide…for instance, I am the library liaison at my university for the graduate Counselling program…if a prof was teaching a class of counselling students in SL perhaps I could create a tour of sorts that would take those students to places like the Virtual Hallucinations build and other relevant areas tied to their coursework…would this be something that would helpful for universities getting started in SL, this sort of idea?
[16:19] Lorelei Junot: Prairie what do you envision we could do to get the input for more innovation that you are talking about
[16:19] AJ Brooks: someone has to keep the servers running
[16:19] Polaris Grayson: maybe find in world liaisons…..librarians in the rl for sl
[16:19] Hilde Hullabaloo: Okay, you can get all students into SL if they link up the login systems, right? so they have the same id here as for their email
[16:20] AJ Brooks: IF – thats a big IF. and WHEN, more like
[16:20] Prairie Loon: we could do some creative brainstorming (facilitated) with various focus groups
[16:20] Riven Homewood: Yes, I was trying to imagine what type of student data the cooperative reference service would encounter – details of specific assignments? Student sl names?
[16:20] Jenaia Morane: hmmm that’s a good idea
[16:20] Hilde Hullabaloo: once you have the logins synched, you can do anything because everyone will have access
[16:20] Jenaia Morane: nods, that’s true Hilde
[16:20] Mercury Barnes: Not a good idea Hilde, unless it’s a protected SIM (or they’re coming in as Alts — which I think can be “recommended” for students and instructors).
[16:21] Prairie Loon: deliberately diverse groups…in all senses of what that means. age, ethnicity, rural/urban, economic, etc.
[16:21] Hilde Hullabaloo: well that’s what I’m saying, it has to be protected. they have to be non-anon here and anon on the main grid
[16:21] Lorelei Junot: I would like to make some contacts with technical companies and take advantage of what they are doing
[16:21] Mercury Barnes: If it’s so protected that they’re “safe,” then they’ll never really be able to explore VW’s.
[16:21] Polaris Grayson: Like IBM …. you could have security access to group only
[16:21] Zotarah Shepherd: In October we will have another College Fair on the teen grid – Eye4you Alliance (libraries) and are looking for representatives from colleges and universities to send AVs there then.
[16:21] Abbey Zenith: I disagree with the protected part – some students and classes learn from interaction with people here – setting up businesses, marketing, etc.
[16:22] Daisyblue Hefferman: that’s up to each school, Hilde to manage their students., not the collaborative reference.
[16:22] Lorelei Junot: the libraries in sl are thought of for their innovation in community
[16:22] Kay Tairov: ;-P that’s all a whole other can of worms
[16:22] Hilde Hullabaloo: oh I think there are places for protected and places for not protected
[16:22] AJ Brooks: Folks we have about 10 minutes left. If you need to leave, please feel free and make sure to come back next week Fleep Tuque will moderate and talk about SLCCed. If you can stay, please do – we hang out until most people have gone. πŸ™‚
[16:22] Zotarah Shepherd: Last year we had about 200 people at the College Fair.
[16:22] Hilde Hullabaloo: academic libraries are part of the larger administration…and can be leaders
[16:22] Lorelei Junot: however, it would be great to do something really innovative and different that maybe has no metaphor or comparison to a real life library
[16:22] Prairie Loon: YES
[16:23] Hilde Hullabaloo: Lorelei, I will build my library anxiety build for you
[16:23] Hilde Hullabaloo: πŸ˜€
[16:23] Sheila Yoshikawa: Librarians would seem to have a valuable role in also so to speak bookmarking (cataloguing?) and organising the education/information round their own university’s sim
[16:23] Jenaia Morane: hahahaha
[16:23] Riven Homewood: Prarie, can you give some examples of what you’re thinking of?
[16:23] Lorelei Junot: Hilde, ?
[16:23] Riven Homewood: Yes, I agree, Sheila
[16:23] Prairie Loon: beyond the brainstorming focus group thing?
[16:23] Penelope Drucker: with all these wonderful ideas,,is there a way they can be followed up on and something constructive done with them?
[16:23] Sheila Yoshikawa: if you are thinking traditional type activities transferred to SL
[16:24] Hilde Hullabaloo: I want do do a build that defines reference service from the perspective of the person who is afraid of the desk
[16:24] Lorelei Junot: one idea is that Abbey zenith runs the buzz sessions on info island. perhaps some of this discussion could continue
[16:24] Riven Homewood: OK – then perhaps it would be better to wait for the focus groups – please le t me know when you have one organized, I’d like to participate
[16:24] Lorelei Junot: as part of a buzz session
[16:24] Zotarah Shepherd: I like to tell older teens about the programs available and would like to give them a tour of the libraries and institutions in SL.
[16:24] Abbey Zenith: We’d love to do that.
[16:24] Daisyblue Hefferman: plenty of ways, but we all need to work together. We want to start with this 24/7 reference idea.
[16:24] Jenaia Morane: good idea Zotarah
[16:24] Sheila Yoshikawa: Just to mention – I do have the discussion sessions on Infolit iSchool too
[16:24] Prairie Loon: the point is that no one person can really have the ideas….synergy (ugh buzzword, lol)
[16:24] Daisyblue Hefferman: then we can branch out with other areas., impoive things
[16:24] Sheila Yoshikawa: I’m just drawing up the prog for the next couple of months
[16:24] Penelope Drucker: Infolit school is AWESOME!
[16:24] Lorelei Junot: Sheila, how often and what are the topics for those
[16:25] Riven Homewood: And they are exc ellent – the InfoLit School sessions
[16:25] Penelope Drucker: : with all these wonderful ideas,,is there a way they can be followed up on and something constructive done with them?
[16:25] Sheila Yoshikawa: I had about 25 in the last 12 months but I’m on a short break currently – Robin here led one, we have different people leading
[16:25] Hilde Hullabaloo: reference service in SL will get a lot more useful once the majority of your student body has access to it
[16:25] Sheila Yoshikawa: Starting again next week or the week after afetr
[16:25] Lorelei Junot: I think we need to reach out to educators here in sl
[16:26] Hilde Hullabaloo: yes, agreed Lorelei
[16:26] Jenaia Morane: I agree Lorelei there is a lot going on
[16:26] Penelope Drucker: as an educator, I would also agree
[16:26] Oberon Octagon: Agreed.
[16:26] Daisyblue Hefferman: we take the road that we provide the service to all of sl, regardless of their affiliation.
[16:26] Lorelei Junot: AJ, we need to get more instructors who will take their students on a tour of the library
[16:26] Robin Mochi: yes, InfoLit iSchool Island is great, I learned an awful lot there.
[16:26] Jenaia Morane: and they are on the ground
[16:26] Moriarty Finesmith: Absolutely
[16:26] Jenaia Morane: they know what their students need
[16:26] Sheila Yoshikawa: I haver noticed that basically when i have an info lit topic mostly librarians come, when it is an education topic mostly educators πŸ˜‰
[16:26] Zotarah Shepherd: As an MA student in education, I would like to do more research in the SL libraries. I am not sure where to start though.
[16:27] Oberon Octagon: Two of the dis=visions most active in SL from ALA’s perspective are both involved with education: AASL and ACRL.
[16:27] Hilde Hullabaloo: if there’s any room for it, I would love to work on a collection of fantastic builds in SL for education purposes
[16:27] Daisyblue Hefferman: that’s a sideline of our reference services, many of us participate in those student tours like Aj’s class.
[16:27] Jenaia Morane: Cool Hilde
[16:27] Penelope Drucker: with all these wonderful ideas,,is there a way they can be followed up on and something constructive done with them?
[16:27] AJ Brooks: It was an amazing experience, I can’t recommend it enough
[16:27] Jenaia Morane: I think Hilde is onto something we dont’ use 3D anywhere near enough to teach
[16:27] AJ Brooks: Penelope – I’m sure it will be – but right now with 40 people talking about it, it might take some processing time
[16:27] Penelope Drucker: well that is what I mean
[16:27] Lorelei Junot: Penelope, yes that is important
[16:27] Jenaia Morane: I am building a quest for my students to use
[16:28] Penelope Drucker: when is that supposed to happen?
[16:28] Jenaia Morane: it’s on my island
[16:28] Zotarah Shepherd: I am going to create a sim of educational builds for my MA thesis project with t he theme of Life Skills.
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: are you keeping a transcript AJ
[16:28] Jenaia Morane: it’s interactive
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: or do you want me to
[16:28] AJ Brooks: yes, I am
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: also, join the alliance second life google group
[16:28] Hilde Hullabaloo: it would be great to offer an index of builds that instructors could use as “readings” in their courses
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: we can continue some discussion on there too
[16:28] AJ Brooks: you can as well if you want – I am WAY behind in processing transcripts
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: Hilde, great idea
[16:28] Abbey Zenith: Would you all like to follow this up with a buzz session on Info Island – I can set a date/time now.
[16:28] AJ Brooks: Its hard to talk about next steps in the middle of a meeting like this
[16:28] Sheila Yoshikawa: i’m sure educators are all building up their lists – i am
[16:28] Daisyblue Hefferman: We also need to educate some of the educators. I overheard 2 talking the other day, figuring out assigned seats and a hand raising anim for their turn talking. puhleeze!
[16:28] Lorelei Junot: yes, abbey great idea let’s set up a buzz session
[16:29] Hilde Hullabaloo: I’m just starting to work with a bio prof about having an independent study student build something in world
[16:29] Lorelei Junot: where we can take a couple things and move forward on them
[16:29] Penelope Drucker: well then, perhaps we could pause the conversation and set a plan
[16:29] Jenaia Morane: lol Penelope
[16:29] Robin Mochi: Hilde, Yes, I agree and that is something I have been working on…I am using the brand new sloog website sloog.org for a list of academic inworld resources for specific courses at my university
[16:29] Jenaia Morane: hits Pause button
[16:29] Moriarty Finesmith: I’m hearing lots of diverse work and ideas. Great. Can we collate these and pick out some agreed action points? We don’t want to lose any of this creativity πŸ™‚
[16:29] Abbey Zenith: What about July 30th at 5 PM SLT?
[16:29] Zotarah Shepherd: I would like to see other educational builds in SL. Many are only up for a limited time, especially the student created ones.
[16:29] Lorelei Junot: this is so exciting to have this many people attend
[16:29] Jenaia Morane: agreed Zotarah
[16:29] Lorelei Junot: and share all these wonderful ideas
[16:29] Hilde Hullabaloo: That’s my biggest pet peeve with SL things vanish we could pick them up and store them!
[16:30] Jenaia Morane: Me too!
[16:30] AJ Brooks: people do store them
[16:30] Zotarah Shepherd: Salamander collected some great SL tools for education.
[16:30] AJ Brooks: but once a class is over, the build may not be necessary – and space is at a premium
[16:30] Sheila Yoshikawa: 5pm …..that’s 1am…. ;-(
[16:30] Penelope Drucker: either AJ or the chick
[16:30] Daisyblue Hefferman: then we need an sl archives, of VR rooms perhaps
[16:30] Penelope Drucker: I am trying
[16:30] Abbey Zenith: ok we can do a weekend earlier?
[16:30] Sheila Yoshikawa: but there’s no universal ideal time
[16:30] Riven Homewood: Yes, morning would be better for me too, Loreli
[16:30] Lorelei Junot: there is a tool where you can store a build and with a keystroke rez it
[16:30] Jenaia Morane: really, what?
[16:31] Lorelei Junot: it is a tool created by Troy McCluhan
[16:31] Riven Homewood: Holoceck
[16:31] AJ Brooks: holo-rezzer
[16:31] Krull Aeon: Yes I built a system like that
[16:31] Riven Homewood: *holodeck πŸ™‚
[16:31] Lorelei Junot: yes you did too Krull πŸ™‚
[16:31] Mercury Barnes: More important to SL, than builds, are the groups, and the people that came together to form them — this the “lost treasure” of SL…:)
[16:31] Oberon Octagon: There’s a number of them out there.
[16:31] Abbey Zenith: Sat 8/2 at 11 am?
[16:31] Jenaia Morane: what would be even better
[16:31] Hilde Hullabaloo: well, that’s debateable…
[16:31] Jenaia Morane: is if we can keep an ongoing list of builds
[16:31] Hilde Hullabaloo: you could have the groups without SL
[16:31] Zotarah Shepherd: I want to get holodecks for the builds for topic areas that students can rez when needed.
[16:31] Jenaia Morane: and make them available
[16:31] Hilde Hullabaloo: but you can’t have the builds without SL
[16:31] Polaris Grayson: Aj i can put out soj tutorials if you like… they are copiable
[16:31] Jenaia Morane: to educators when needed
[16:32] Penelope Drucker: Holodecks are tricky to build in
[16:32] Krull Aeon: Not that tricky mine are much easier
[16:32] AJ Brooks: soj tutorials?
[16:32] Prairie Loon: a library of sim learning objects
[16:32] Hilde Hullabaloo: can’t you just drop a build?
[16:32] Riven Homewood: You don’t build in them – you build and then store it in the holodeck
[16:32] Penelope Drucker: I would like to see yours then, Krull
[16:32] Krull Aeon: Sure
[16:32] Penelope Drucker: where are you????heheh
[16:32] Polaris Grayson: the boards i showed you last time we met
[16:32] Jenaia Morane: Exactly Riven
[16:32] Zotarah Shepherd: I have to learn about using holodecks.
[16:32] Daisyblue Hefferman: Troy’s is a holo rezzer, a room,ful of furniture, or a beach scene. no walls
[16:32] Krull Aeon: Im the black cat on the chair
[16:32] Jenaia Morane: Can’t you smell the catnip?
[16:32] Oberon Octagon: I would also, Krull.
[16:32] Jenaia Morane: That’s Krull
[16:33] AJ Brooks: FOlks – just a note – our time is up – although clearly some folks will be hangin g out
[16:33] Penelope Drucker: got him
[16:33] Polaris Grayson: that one
[16:33] Jenaia Morane: winks
[16:33] AJ Brooks: feel free to stay and thanks to those who need to move on to other meetings
[16:33] Penelope Drucker: was a follow up meeting set then?
[16:33] AJ Brooks: I know ISTE is doing something tonight, so I don’t want to hold folks
[16:33] Daisyblue Hefferman: Krull’s and Stephane Zuzgwang’s are walls with scenes in them plus you add settings
[16:33] Riven Homewood: 11am on Saturday is ok for me, Loreli – 10am on a weekday is better
[16:33] Jenaia Morane: Have no idea Penelope, I hope so
[16:33] Mercury Barnes: Thanks…:)
[16:33] Abbey Zenith: Riven, I can’t do workdays πŸ™‚
[16:33] Daisyblue Hefferman: so, Sat, Aug 2 at 11 slt?
[16:33] Riven Homewood: KK
[16:34] AJ Brooks: just set a time – someone is going to be unable to attend no mater what time you pick. πŸ™‚
[16:34] Penelope Drucker: How does that work for people?
[16:34] Jenaia Morane: where are we meeting?
[16:34] Abbey Zenith: Great πŸ™‚ on Info Island
[16:34] Lorelei Junot: if you are not a member of the librarians of second life group, please im me and I will invite you
[16:34] Jenaia Morane: Info Island?
[16:34] Oberon Octagon: Please don’;t change next weeks program time!
[16:34] Zotarah Shepherd: Good for me.
[16:34] Abbey Zenith: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Info%20Island/126/132/23
[16:35] AJ Brooks: Oberon, you mean of the SLER meetings?
[16:35] Carrilin Heliosense: thanks all… still very much in the absorbing stage, but as always, these meetings are a huge help
[16:35] Riven Homewood: And this is a meeting for those who want to discuss collaborative reference services?
[16:35] AJ Brooks: Thanks Carrilin, thanks for coming
[16:35] Hilde Hullabaloo: thanks to all for putting up with my outbursts, all am very excited about all kinds of things that are going on
[16:36] AJ Brooks: Yes – important to note – the meeting that was just et up is to discussion the ideas from todays meeting further – the SL EDUCATION ROUNDTABLE meets every week at 3:30pm SLT on Tuesdays
[16:36] Rowan Masala: some really good ideas, Hilde
[16:36] Zotarah Shepherd: Thanks AJ. Great ideas this time too. Thanks Carrilin.
[16:36] Lorelei Junot: AJ, thanks for hosting this meeting, thanks to all for coming
[16:36] Moriarty Finesmith: AJ. Do we see action points come from this to present at a future meeting?
[16:36] AJ Brooks: Lori – you are my hero – anytime!
[16:36] Lorelei Junot: and sharing great idea
[16:36] Hilde Hullabaloo: Thanks to you, Lorelei! for all that you’ve done
[16:36] Kay Tairov: πŸ˜€
[16:36] Robin Mochi: thank you, Lorelei!
[16:36] Moriarty Finesmith: Thanks for hosting AJ!
[16:36] Krull Aeon: Ive left a copy of netlink for anyone to grab a copy of by the window
[16:36] Penelope Drucker: ty AJ
[16:36] Daisyblue Hefferman: TY, AJ. nice to see you again.
[16:36] Zotarah Shepherd: Thank you Lorelei
[16:36] Oberon Octagon wild applause and leopard growls
[16:36] AJ Brooks: No, Moriarity – usually follow up is handled as it was today – in sperate working group. But that doesn’t mean it always has to be that way
[16:36] Jenaia Morane: I’m sorry Krull, What’s netlink?
[16:37] Robin Mochi: yes, thanks AJ
[16:37] AJ BRooks: Thanks for coming, all – hope to see you when I get back. I wil l not be in world next week – Fleep is covering for me
[16:37] Krull Aeon: When a user clicks it it gives them the option of going to a specific website
[16:37] Hilde Hullabaloo: thanks again!
[16:37] Jenaia Morane: Oh I like that
[16:37] Krull Aeon: Free please take a copy
[16:38] Rowan Masala: bye all. thanks!
[16:38] Oberon Octagon: Hi Elaine!
[16:38] Daisyblue Hefferman: actually, to a list of websites, or they can get a copy of the list too
[16:38] Elaine Tulip: Hi Oberon
[16:38] Oberon Octagon: Robin! Filmaker!
[16:38] Krull Aeon: Yes I developed it for Geo and Daisy at their request
[16:38] Jenaia Morane: thanks so much Krull
[16:38] Krull Aeon: Your welcome
[16:38] AJ BRooks: Take care, and hope to see you again – to those who are leaving. Those who are here – feel free to hagn out
[16:39] Daisyblue Hefferman: just this afternoon, btw. lol
[16:39] Krull Aeon: lol
[16:39] Robin Mochi: Hi Oberon πŸ™‚
[16:39] JeanClaude Vollmar: Yup, see you all again soon. Great meeting!
[16:39] AJ Brooks: bye JC
[16:39] Sheila Yoshikawa: yes, thanks again
[16:39] AJ Brooks: later shiela! keep blogging!
[16:39] Krull Aeon: Simply configure the notecard by placing a description on one line and the URL on another
[16:40] Agnesa Capalini: I’ve got to good. Wonderful discussion. Thank you.
[16:40] AJ Brooks: bye agnesa, thanks for coming, hope to see you again
[16:40] Jenaia Morane: Wow what an amazing group of people
[16:41] AJ Brooks: Its what keeps me motivated
[16:41] Zotarah Shepherd: Yes
[16:41] Prairie Loon: Krull, I’m sorry, where did u drop it?
[16:41] Jenaia Morane: smiles
[16:41] Zotarah Shepherd: Bye fabulous Teachers and Librarians.
[16:41] Krull Aeon: Just over by the window
[16:41] AJ Brooks: Lata Z!!!!
[16:41] Jenaia Morane: i may even have gotten my brainstorming fill for the day
[16:41] AJ Brooks: great to see you again [hugs]
[16:41] Riven Homewood: Bye everyone
[16:41] Jenaia Morane: I love this sort of thing, bye Riven
[16:41] AJ Brooks: bye riven
[16:42] Prairie Loon: Oh…the TV looking thing…I was expecting a box. πŸ™‚
[16:42] Oberon Octagon: Wow … it happened twice!
[16:42] Krull Aeon: Well you purchase the cone, Which contains the item
[16:42] Oberon Octagon: If I went afk … i got tossed to the bleachers!
[16:42] AJ Brooks: Krull – do you have a store – and if so, can I have an LM
[16:42] Prairie Loon slaps forehead
[16:42] Krull Aeon: Yes please have a look at my profile picks
[16:42] Abbey Zenith: See you all soon πŸ™‚ Must run to another meeting…
[16:42] Oberon Octagon: Bye Abbey
[16:42] Krull Aeon: Galactic Kitty
[16:43] AJ Brooks: i will try later – too much going on right now (as you can imagine)
[16:43] Jenaia Morane: Oh great Krull, thanks
[16:43] Kay Tairov: Bye, Abbey πŸ™‚
[16:43] Elaine Tulip: bye everyone..nice to see all of you
[16:43] AJ Brooks: take care – thanks for coming
[16:43] Oberon Octagon: Good to se you Elaine
[16:43] Jenaia Morane: Bye Elaine

Originally uploaded by AJ Brooks. Downloaded from http://sler-transcripts.wikispaces.com/ by Sheila Yoshikawa, June 2018. Lightly edited to correct some obvious typos

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s